Florida Roasted Turkey
· 1/4 cup butter, softened
· 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
· 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
· 2 teaspoons salt
· 2 teaspoons pepper
· 1 large onion, quartered
· 1 medium orange, quartered
· 1 medium lemon, quartered
· 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
· 3 fresh sage sprigs
· 3 cups chicken broth, divided
· 3 to 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
· 1/8 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
· Preheat oven to 325°. Mix butter and Italian seasoning.
· Place turkey on a rack in a roasting pan, breast side up; pat dry. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; rub half of the butter mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Rub cavity with salt and pepper; fill with onion, orange, lemon and herbs. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together.
· Melt remaining butter mixture; brush over outside of turkey. Add 2 cups broth to roasting pan.
· Roast, uncovered, until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, 3-1/2-4 hours, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
· Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving.
· Pour pan drippings into a small saucepan; skim fat. Mix flour, remaining broth and, if desired, browning sauce until smooth; whisk into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with turkey.
Orange Meringue Pie
· Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
· 1 cup sugar
· 5 tablespoons cornstarch
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1 cup water
· 1 cup orange juice
· 4 large egg yolks
· 1/2 cup lemon juice
· 2 tablespoons butter
· 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
· 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
· 4 large egg whites
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
· 1/2 cup sugar
· Preheat oven to 450°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Line un-pricked crust with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice.
· Bake 8-10 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned. Remove foil and weights; bake 5-8 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
· Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in water and orange juice. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer (mixture will be thick). Remove from heat.
· In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, butter, and lemon and orange zests.
· For meringue, in a large bowl, beat egg whites with vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form.
· Transfer hot filling to crust. Spread meringue over filling, sealing to edge of crust; swirl top with the back of a spoon.
· Bake 13-16 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour. Chill 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-5 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
Orange Juice Chicken
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons prepared Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Place chicken in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Spread mustard evenly over the chicken and sprinkle with chopped onion. Coat lightly with 1/4 cup of the brown sugar and pour in enough orange juice to cover chicken. Add butter on top.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, then remove leftover sauce from baking dish and pour into a saucepan. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar and return to oven.
Whisk flour into sauce in saucepan. Add any leftover orange juice and heat on high until the sauce thickens. Remove chicken from oven and place on a serving dish; pour sauce over the chicken or into a gravy boat, and serve.
OVEN BAKED PORK CHOPS
4 thick pork chops (1¼ inches)
1 cup orange juice
½ cup sherry or vermouth (or an additional 1/2 c. orange juice)
2 tablespoons flour
1. Pre-heat oven to 350° F
2. Place chops in baking pan or an iron skillet.
3. In a separate container, mix the flour with a little orange juice to make a smooth paste. Add rest of orange juice, wine (if using), and mix well. Pour mixture over chops.
4. Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until chops are browned and sauce thickened.
5. If desired, potatoes and carrots can be baked in the pan along with the chops for a one-pot dinner.
6. Serves 4.
ORANGE GLAZE SALMON
1 LB. SALMON FILLET
¼ Cup Orange Marmalade
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
½ Cup Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
Rinse salmon fillet under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
Cut into 4 equal portions and place salmon pieces in a large zip-top bag. Set aside.
In a small bowl, stir together remaining ingredients. Pour into zip-top bag. Squeeze air from bag and seal. Marinate in refrigerator for at least one hour.
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and turn on your oven's broiler. Remove salmon from marinade and place on baking sheet.
Broil salmon 6 to 8 inches from heat source for 6 to 8 minutes or until cooked through.
Makes four servings.
BAKED ALASKA GRAPEFRUIT
4 large Florida fresh grapefruit
2 teaspoons rum extract
½ cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
3 egg whites
1 teaspoon cornstarch
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
¼ cup sugar
8 maraschino cherries
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°
2. Halve grapefruit and section; remove membranes. Return grapefruit sections to grapefruit halves.
3. Drizzle ¼ teaspoon rum extract over each. Top with 1 rounded tablespoon of whipped cream; Place on an un-greased foil-lined baking sheet.
4. In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites, cornstarch, and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Mound ½ cup on each grapefruit half; spread meringue to edges to seal.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes or until meringue is browned. Top each with a cherry.
Makes 8 servings.
Key Lime Pie Recipe
You will need:
One 9" graham cracker piecrust
One 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
Small tub Kool-Whip topping
½ Cup (4 oz.) Key Lime Juice
1. Mix condensed milk with topping at medium speed until blended
2. Add Key Lime juice to mixture
3. Blend well
4. Pour mixture into pie crust
5. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving
6. Top with whipped cream (optional)
Currently testing the best recipes in our kitchen, come back soon.
If you have a good recipe you want to share, please email it to email@example.com. Thanks.